Kermit the Blog

Welcome to my pad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Conservatism: Not just a good idea, it's the (Natural) Law.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Dark Night of the American Soul

I'm struggling to stay focused at work today. My wife and I were up late praying for Terri Schiavo and studying Web sites about her case. I am overwhelmed by the evil that has been done against her and I'm desperate to do something, but there's nothing I can do. I am overwhelmed by the injustice.

Terri feels.
Terri laughs.
Terri cries.

This is no "vegetative state" by any humane definition. No respirator, no life support, no extraordinary means whatsoever. The only sustenance she needs is food and water, and perhaps the faces of those who love her, and let it be clear that her husband is not one of those. If you don't believe so, read this sworn affidavit by Terri's former nurse. Read the testimony of Cynthia Shook, one of Michael Schiavo's girlfriends he dated while his wife lay dying under his tender care.

If you think starvation is a "natural and painless way to die," as Mr. Schiavo claims, read Kate Adamson's account of surviving eight days of starvation following a stroke that left her unable to respond.

Forced starvation is cruel and unspeakably inhumane. It is murder, not compassion.

What progress we have made in defining "extraordinary means" and "vegetative state." Consider the case of Karen Ann Quinlan, whose parents in 1975 fought for legal permission to remove her from a respirator, despite the objections of doctors. They won, the respirator was removed, but Karen continued breathing on her own. She continued living in a "persistent vegetative state," that is, unconscious and unresponsive, for ten years. Withholding food and water was unthinkable and was never a consideration.

Today, Woodland Hospice has gone above and beyond the call of duty, as dictated by Mr. Schiavo, by not only refusing care to Terri Schiavo, but preventing anyone from doing so. Per Michael's orders, she is being held in a dark room with no visitors, thus ensuring she is demoralized while she starves. A care facility that so actively denies patient care can only rival those famous care facilities we called concentration camps.

The most disturbing part of this story by far is Michael Schiavo's almost insane eagerness for his wife's death. Suspicion is mounting against him that could potenitally fuel a wrongful death suit, but Schiavo has taken steps to destroy the evidence. A mortuary is standing by to cremate Terri almost the moment she dies, probably before her body even cools. No chance for an autopsy, to be sure. There are unholy alliances at work as well. Schiavo's attorney is on the board of directors at Woodland Hospice and is the director of the Florida Right to Die alliance. Schiavo himself is on the board of directors for an insurance company apparently handling Terri's care.

If right-to-die advocates are looking for a precedent case, this is not it. Michael Schiavo is not the person who will draw sympathy for their cause. Instead of demonstrating his love for his suffering spouse, he consistently shows disdain, disregard, and impatience over Terri's confounding endurance. He is the worst possible spokesman for "death with dignity."

I am very, very ashamed, that I did not get informed and involved in this case sooner. I am extremely frustrated at my powerlesses to do anything to save Terri. I feel like the character Col. Brandon in "Sense and Sensibility" who, while the young woman Marianne was dying, asked to be given a task or he would go mad. I just can't stand to see this evil prevail. So, I am joining the vast blogger community in decrying the doctors, judges, and media who are participating in the murder of a disabled, non-vegetative patient for the convenience of a philandering, conniving, despicable man.

I know my frustration over this cannot begin to approach that of Mr. and Mrs. Schindler, Terri's parents, but I hope they and Terri might somehow feel my prayers for them and know how I wish I could do more. I believe miracles can happen, and I continue praying to that end.

See these sites:
Terri's Fight: http://www.terrisfight.net

Justice for Terri Schiavo: http://journals.aol.com/justice1949/JUSTICEFORTERRISCHIAVO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home