Kermit the Blog

Welcome to my pad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Conservatism: Not just a good idea, it's the (Natural) Law.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Geeks Grow Up

A celebration in L.A. last week marking the 30th anniversary of Star Wars (no bloody I, II, III, IV, V, or VI) featured a display of hand-made, life-sized, remote-controlled and operating R2-D2s (and other Artoo units).


One Artoo unit serves Starbucks and another has an actual hologram of Princess Leia.

The exhibition was put on by the Official R2 Builders Club. I can't imagine how or where these guys get parts to build these, but they'll probably tell you they got power converters from Tashi station.

I guess I was qui-i-i-ite the amateur when I built my R2-D2 from this kit in 1979:


I thought I was pretty clever when I added lights and a speaker inside my 6" model. I always wished I could have made it remote-controlled.

I wonder if any of the guys who built these life-sized versions started out with the same plastic one I built.

BTW, I also built the C-3PO model. (And I made the eyes light up. Ha.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home