Kermit the Blog

Welcome to my pad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Conservatism: Not just a good idea, it's the (Natural) Law.

Monday, September 08, 2008

This Day in History


September 8, 1966: The starship Enterprise begins its five-year mission, only to be cut short at three years.

I was exactly six months old and probably saw the premiere, but it remains only a subconscious, black-and-white memory. (Our house didn't go color until 1981.)



Follow-up:

I just discovered another notable event that happened on this date.

September 8, 1947: C.S. Lewis appeared on the cover of Time magazine. The cover story focused on Lewis' book The Screwtape Letters, a collection of correspondences between a demon and his superior about means and methods of temptation. Its brilliant premise intrigued readers who would otherwise yawn over treatises on Christian apologetics. The book is regarded as a classic by Christian and secular audiences. Forty years later, I read it myself for the first time. Further Up and Further In published a review of Screwtape and the Time magazine article.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home